Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My Good Ideas are Making Others Rich

I have had some good ideas in my time. The biggest problems with my ideas is that they are too technical for me. They are ideas that I don't have the skills to implement but I know that they are good ideas and would be really successful. Let take, for example, a new product by Google. Google recently announced a service called My Location that can locate mobile users of Google Maps without GPS. This is done by using information gathered from the cell tower in which our mobile device is communicating with to calculate your approximate location. This is ingenious and it was an idea that I had years ago.

I thought that I could implement this type of solution on BYU campus and create a person/item/inventory/whatever you want to keep track of locater. I just didn't have the skills to implement it and Google did. So they get all the glory. This has made me contemplate what I can do about the situation. I see two options. One is to try to patent these good ideas and sell them to people who can actually do them. The other option is to do nothing and just enjoy these innovations when they come out. Either way, I feel a little sense of gratification when I see that Google had the same idea I had.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah... if I had a nickel for every idea that ended up in someone elses wallet... for years, I, too, had ideas that I did not have the technical know-how or financing to pursue... but I found a solution... it does not matter your idea... there is always someone on the net able to help you with it. Once I have an idea, i like to goto sites like StartUpNation, post a varient of it and see what sort of feedback I get. Once I am willing to pursue it... I use software like QuickPlanner Plus to develop the idea into a great success.